Skip to content

Limerick City Museum, John’s Square


John’s Square, LimerickGoogle MapsArrow
  • Established in 1916, this museum is the oldest local authority museum in the state.
  • In 1979, the museum relocated from Pery Square to two restored houses in John’s Square, where it remained until 1998. It is now located in the old Franciscan Friary on Henry Street and still operates as a museum dedicated to the collection of archaeological material.
  • Today it has a collection of 62,000 objects gathered through donations, purchase and on long-term loan.
  • The Limerick City Museum at John’s Square was one of 26 listed venues for the 22nd edition of EVA in 1998, curated by Paul M. O’Reilly (b. 1934, USA).
  • The 1998 edition was the most expansive in EVA’s history in terms of number of venues and artists.