Skip to content

John’s Square

Formerly known as New Square


John’s Square, LimerickGoogle MapsArrow
  • An important classical building scheme of the mid 18th century, John’s Square was designed by architect Francis Bindon.
  • Originally named ‘New Square’, it was built on a site which had never recovered from an assault during the siege of Limerick in 1690.
  • Initially the square sought to address the housing needs of the local aristocracy and gentry, with limestone townhouses lining the square.
  • This site was one of 12 venues for the 30th edition of EVA in 2006, curated by Katerina Gregos (b. 1967, Greece) and titled give(a)way.
  • At this site, Michael Minnis (b. 1964, Ireland) and Áine Nic Giolla Coda (b. 1964, Ireland) created a site-responsive work titled Neighbours (2006) that activated four vacant alcoves in the square. The work consisted of four large-scale portrait photographs of local traders and residents displayed in custom-made curved metal lightboxes that were made to fit the alcoves.

Artwork presented at this venue

Michael Minnis and Áine Ni Giolla Coda, Neighbours, 2006.