Skip to content

Mother Macs

Formerly known as The Round House


9 High St, LimerickGoogle MapsArrow
  • This spherical bar, formerly called The Round House, was built in the 18th century.
  • In 1871, Kate Fleming O’Malley (1820–1901), a mother of 12 living in famine-stricken Murroe, Co. Limerick, became the landlord of the building. Her son, whom she had sent to work in Limerick, inherited the bar in the will.
  • Under Kate’s ownership, The Round House was transformed into a thriving grocery and spirit business. The income from the business supported the education of her children, all of whom went on to secure their place in – as Patrick Comerford writes – ‘the social and political life of Limerick’.
  • This site was one of five venues for the 37th edition of EVA in 2016, curated by Koyo Kouoh (b. 1967, Cameroon) and titled Still (the) Barbarians.
  • In 2016 Liam Gillick (b. 1964, UK) presented And Then...(2016), ‘spoken word film festival’. The programme comprised a series of films chosen by the artist, curator, and participants. Participants would take turns at the microphone, relating the premise of the selected film. The venue was chosen as it conformed to certain conditions: a place of conviviality and storytelling, of meeting, of drinking, a place where it would not be surprising if someone were to stand up and speak.

Artwork presented at this venue

Liam Gillick, And Then..., 2016.