Skip to content

Limerick Civic Trust

Formerly known as Bishop’s Palace


Church St, LimerickGoogle MapsArrow
  • This Palladian-style building is the former home of the Protestant bishops of Limerick, known as the Bishop’s Palace.
  • It is adjacent to King John’s Castle and is close to the grounds of St. Munchin’s church, which is further north along the narrow Church Street.
  • It has been used as a venue for EVA for three editions – in 2001, 1998 and 1994.
  • In 1994 this site was one of 19 listed venues for the 18th edition of EVA curated by Jan Hoet (b. 1936, Belgium; d. 2014).
  • Dan Graham (b. 1942, USA; d. 2022) – an internationally recognised visual artist, writer and curator – exhibited a work titled Children’s Pavilion (1986).
  • Beginning in the late 1970s, Graham created pavilions for galleries, gardens and other public contexts. The adoption of architectural vocabulary, a staple element in Graham’s work, is a way of emphasising how our environment fundamentally structures our gaze.

Artwork presented at this venue

Vanessa O’Reilly, Flag, 2000.