Skip to content

Cruises Street


Cruises Street, LimerickGoogle MapsArrow
  • Cruises Street was named after the Cruises Royal Hotel, a once-famous landmark in Limerick City that operated for 200 years until its demolition in 1991.
  • In 1992, Cruises Street was opened as a pedestrianised shopping district. In recent years, it has come to represent the decline of city centre retail, with many retail units on the street unoccupied or without long-term tenants.
  • This street was one of 12 listed venues for the 28th edition of EVA in 2004, curated by Zdenka Badovinac (b. 1958, Slovenia) and titled Imagine Limerick. Johanna Kandl (b. 1954, Austria) presented a temporary street drawing titled The Cleansing of the Temple (2004).
  • This street was also used as a venue in 1999 for a performance by Fergus Byrne (b. 1974, Ireland) titled Headguard.

Artwork presented at this venue

Johanna Kandl, The Cleansing of the Temple, 2004.