Skip to content

Arthur’s Quay Park


Arthurs Quay, LimerickGoogle MapsArrow
  • Arthur’s Quay Park takes its name from the Arthur family, prominent medieval merchants who had settled in Limerick by the 13th century.
  • The site which is now known as Arthur’s Quay Park used to be known as Arthur’s Quay, which was built in 1773 to provide harbour facilities for timber ships.
  • Arthur’s Quay Park was overlooked by Georgian townhouses that were built by the Arthur family in the 18th century, then fell into disrepair, becoming a tenement block until its eventual demolition in the 1950s.
  • Following the demolition of the townhouses, Arthur’s Quay became a car park.
  • This site is now occupied by a public park, with views looking onto the River Shannon, King John’s Castle, Curragower Falls and the Clare Hills.
  • It was one of 19 listed venues for the 18th edition of EVA in 1994, curated by Jan Hoet (b. 1936, Belgium; d. 2014).
  • Luc Deleu (b. 1944, Belgium) presented a work titled Construction X (for 9 containers) (1994), consisting of nine shipping containers formed into a massive ‘X’ in the centre of the park.
  • This large-scale public artwork was installed for a second time in 2012, for the 35th edition of EVA, curated by Annie Fletcher (b. 1971, Ireland).
  • Deleu was trained as an architect. Describing his practice, Jan Hoet wrote: ‘Rooted in that discipline and logic, his early and mature artwork is conceptual, and continues to engage architectural principles, theories and practices, though in a paradoxical and iconoclastic spirit. He has a passion for cranes, containers, ready-made objects, which he dislocates into contexts that astonish and amaze, the way Gulliver both caused and experienced such wonderment.’

Artwork presented at this venue

Luc Deleu, Construction X (for 9 containers), 1994.