Skip to content

Limerick Clothing Factory

Formerly known as Tait’s Clothing Factory


2–38 Lord Edward St, LimerickGoogle MapsArrow
  • Entrepreneur Peter Tait set up the Limerick Clothing Factory on Bedford Street in 1853. Five years later, he opened a larger factory – which remained the premises for his business until its closure more than a century later – in a former military barracks on what is now Lord Edward Street.
  • In its early years it was known as Tait’s Clothing Factory, and supplied uniforms to the British Army, the Canadian Volunteer Militia, and the Confederates in the American Civil War.
  • The factory soon became one of the largest clothing manufacturers in Europe. It was the largest single employer in Limerick, with 1,300 workers and 150 sewing machines.
  • Following a lengthy period of vacancy after its closure in the 1970s, this site underwent a major residential redevelopment in 2018.
  • This site was one of ten listed venues for the 38th edition of EVA in 2018, curated by Inti Guerrero (b. 1983, Colombia).
  • An exhibition at the site featured works by Peju Alatise (b. 1975, Nigeria), Patricia Belli (b. 1964, Nicaragua), Colin Booth (b. 1951, UK), John Duncan (b. 1968, UK), Marie-Claire Messouma Manlanbien (b. 1990, France), Mina Talaee (b. 1985, Iran) and Darn Thorn (b. 1975, Ireland).

Artwork presented at this venue

Peju Alatise, Girl Interrupted, 2014.

Patricia Belli, Crisálida II, 1998.

Colin Booth, Jesus Wept, 2012–13.

John Duncan, Glenbryn Park, Belfast, 2008.

Marie-Claire Messouma Manlanbien, #Noname, 2016.

Mina Talaee, Hair Headscarf, 2016.

Darn Thorn, Aggiornamento, 2016.