Skip to content

Our Lady of the Rosary


Ennis Rd, LimerickGoogle MapsArrow
  • Our Lady of the Rosary church is situated on the Ennis Road and was built in 1950.
  • The design of Our Lady of the Rosary is an example of a break in the tradition of church-building. The church was designed by Frank Corr and Liam McCormick as a structure that could be built quickly and, if necessary, dismantled and re-erected to fit in with the shape of the expanding population in the parish.
  • In the years 1950–2010, a total of 7,092 baptisms (with a peak of 300 in 1968) and 4,112 weddings (peaking in 1996 with 172) took place in this church.
  • This site was one of 23 venues for the 31st edition of EVA in 2007, curated by Klaus Ottmann (b. 1964, Germany).
  • Our Lady of the Rosary was one of numerous sites for a project by Miriam Lohan (b. 1975, Ireland), titled Ringing Limerick. On 7 May 2007, between 11:15am and 11:45am, the artist organised 13 churches around Limerick city to ring their bells simultaneously.
  • This performance was recorded and available to listen to after the event.

Artwork presented at this venue

Miriam Lohan, Ringing Limerick, 2007.