Skip to content

Clancy Electrical

Formerly known as Gaiety Cinema, Clancy’s


45 O’Connell St, LimerickGoogle MapsArrow
  • This terraced building on O’Connell Street was built in the late 18th century.
  • Historically it was known as the Gaiety Theatre and then Galbraith’s Music Shop, providing the people of Limerick with entertainment and media.
  • In the 1930s it became Clancy Electrical, which was a family-run business that operated for more than 80 years.
  • According to some accounts, the former projection room, which remained from its use as the Gaiety Theatre, went on to become the office from where Gerry Clancy ran the family electrical business.
  • It has been used as a venue for EVA for two editions, in 2003 and 2002.
  • This site was one of 18 listed venues for the 26th edition of EVA in 2002, curated by Apinan Poshyananda (b. 1956, Thailand) and titled heroes + holies.
  • Prapon Joe Kumjim (b. 1972, Thailand) presented a work titled Beach Spin Postcards (2001), which displayed multiple videos in the shop window, exploring themes relating to cinema and TV – the escape they offer people as well as the desire to escape from technology and modern life.

Artwork presented at this venue

Theresa Nanigian, 46 Missed Manicures, n.d.

Catherine Rannou, Carousels, 2002.