Skip to content

Barrington’s Pier


Barrington’s Pier, Condell Road, LimerickGoogle MapsArrow
  • This pier, located on the River Shannon, was built by the Barrington family in association with the local landlord, the Marquis of Lansdowne.
  • It is thought to have been originally built for boats transporting bricks from the Coonagh brickfields to the city in the 18th century. It was largely unused for most of the 19th and 20th centuries, and today it remains a popular viewing point.
  • This site was one of 12 venues for the 20th edition of EVA in 1996, curated by Guy Tortosa (b. 1961, France). Ilya Kabakov (b. 1933, Russia; d. 2023) presented a temporary ‘outhouse’ toilet made from wooden boards, titled Toilet on the River (1996).

Artwork presented at this venue

Ilya Kabakov, Toilet on the River, 1996.